Sep 13, 2007

Healthy Sleep

Van is 6 months old and he was not sleeping through the night. At all. He was napping all night long. 4 to 5 hour naps, each punctuated with a quick nursing session and then he's back down for another few hours. Thiswent on from 7 p.m., when I put him down, until 7 in the morning, when he wakes up. And I go to him, willingly. he is my baby, and so I actually soaked him in during those feeding sessions at night. I rock with him. I smell his head. I kiss him. I think about how wonderful life is going to be for him. And then I lay him back down into his crib and climb back into my bed. And think. And toss and turn. And make “to do” lists in my head. And plan the dinner menu for the week. And then, I finally fall back asleep. I needed some sleep. Desperately. I had tried everything. Finally, we agreed upon a method from a book called “Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child.” In three words: cry it out. And before you roll your eyes and say to yourself “what kind of a mother does that?” let me tell you that it works. And when you’ve tried other methods and they haven’t worked for your child, you try another one. Well, this happened to be our other one. No two children are alike, and what works for one may not work for another.

So this is the one we are trying for now!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Betsy said...

That method worked so well for us. Harper loves going to bed now b/c she learned how to comfort herself when she was 4 months. I know it's hard but Van is not going to hate you in the morning b/c he had to cry himself to sleep. And if he learns to comfort himself to sleep at 7 then it will make it easier for him to do in the middle of the night.

You can do it, don't doubt yourself.

Happy belated birthday and tell conner hi!

15 September, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home