Apr 24, 2007

not of this world


Yesterday an old man stopped me in the bagel store and asked me if I didn't mind telling him how old my baby was. I said he is seven weeks old today... with a smile.

He stared at Van for a minute and looked back at me and said "what a world it is to grow up in". I knew exactly what he meant by that. It wasn't a good thing either. I had so many doubts about bringing a child into this world because I think sometimes the bad can out weigh the good. Evil prevails over honesty. War is more eminent than peace.
I thought about it for a minute and at that moment I decided that my job now is to teach my son to be a loving, caring person, with values that are not of this world. I looked at the man with a tear in my eye and said "I will teach him to be a good man". I will raise him to make the right choices and bring good into the world. But I will also make him aware of the hardship and troubles he will face during his life here on earth. However our time here on earth is so short compared to heaven.

This is our time to become parents and leave old habits and ways behind, to be a shining example of what we want our son to study.

I left the bagel store with van in one arm and I watched the man and his wife walk away hand in hand. They were in there 80's at least and they looked so happy, but they had the signs on their faces that life had not been easy. I was so thankful I had run into him, he confirmed my feelings and made me realize this is the time to teach our son to be different.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nathan and Jordan said...

That made me get so teary eyed! Everything you said is so true...I want the same for Kingston :)

01 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home