Mar 18, 2008

For Pete's Sake


This past week I was at a nail salon, with Mimi getting a pedicure. In the next room I kept hearing cries from a baby getting louder and louder. Finally people started looking for the baby. My nice nail lady went in and tried to rock the baby in his car seat. To no avail. The screaming got louder and louder. I finally went into the room to take a survey and see if I could help out. I found a mom sitting in a chair getting her nails done, not even looking at her baby. When asked what was wrong she said he's just tired. His cries were hungry and lonely. I asked her if I could take him out and hold him.

She got a little irritated and said yeah but don't go far. As I pulled him out toys and an almost empty sleeve of ritz crackers fell to the ground along with a slew of crumbs and broken crackers. "how old is he" I asked, with a weird sort of grin and teeth that looked as though they had never seen a brush she said "Seven Months".

The question I really wanted to ask was "why are you in here getting your nails done with a 7 month old?" At this point I was fuming... When your child screams for 10 minutes, something is wrong and it is your duty as his mother, to get off your bottom (very large) and stop thinking about yourself and your lee press on's and fix it!

These kind of people completely baffle me.... I held her son and rocked him, he was working himself into hysterics. At this point everyone in the nail salon thinks this is my child. I ask his mother if I can put him on her lap, because I am obviously not calming him down. I am a stranger, and the comforting that I do only comforts one little soul at this point in time. The minute I put him on her lap he stops crying. He needed to be held.

First of all boys don't belong in nail salons, ever....
second of all if you really need to get your nails done that bad, do it when someone else can watch him. If your getting your nails done in the first place you can certainly afford a sitter.
third learn how to be a mother for pete's sake.

I don't think I had been this fired up in a long time. On the way home Mimi had to hear all of this as I stewed over and over about this lady and her lack of knowledge about being a mother. Some people will never get it, and I truly feel so sorry for their children.

It's funny how our children have a way of telling us when we are doing something wrong. This being a mom thing is not about me anymore. It's about taking care of little one's needs before your own, and that is where you learn the true art of selfless love.

Not sure if that makes any sense, but It just came out that way.

I will step off my soap box now!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

Makes you wonder how the poor child is treated at home. I hope this mom got the point. Poor baby. :(

Maria

19 March, 2008  
Blogger Hippo Brigade said...

Amen, sister.

23 March, 2008  
Blogger Nathan and Jordan said...

That makes me SO sad to think that she probably does that at home everyday....I would have been SO upset if I was there too!
Miss you and the V-Dub!!!

02 April, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I would have exploded if I had been there. It was good of you (and brave, too since not many others would have) to step in.

10 April, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home